Monday 29 March 2010

Freelance or not to Freelance?

I signed up to one of the freelance sites some time last year and didn't win any of the projects that I applied for.  At first I thought it might have been the way I was pitching myself. Maybe I wasn't doing too good a job of selling myself to potential clients. Then I noticed that some of the people winning projects over me had limited English to say the least. If that's the case then how are they going to fare at article writing? Not too well would be my guess. I presume some, but not all, people posting projects on sites like these are going with the cheapest option, getting people to work for virtually nothing (0.50 cents an hour) and in some cases they aren't even going to pay that at the end of it.

I continued on applying for work and I was on the verge of giving up when last week my bids for two separate projects were accepted.

My first project was for $30.00 or at least it was supposed to be. I accepted the work and once I did was told that they wanted 10 pieces of work done for $5.00.  Each piece ran in to hundreds of words and would have taken around 30-60 minutes. Now, here's the really good bit. Had I completed the project I would have been charged $5 for the privilege. Since I didn't sign up to work on a voluntary basis I'm afraid I declined the work. I then got a short message from the employer saying that he was 'Proceeding with other providers' Well, good luck to him, and to them, they're going to need it.

My second project is - and will always be - my favourite. I was offered $50 per 750 word article. That sounded believable as it's in line with what I'd get paid for that amount of work with magazines etc.

I accepted the work and the moment I did, I received an email stating that they wanted 100 articles for that $50, each of them taking an hour to write and research.  That isn't worth my while or anyone else's and I doubt very much that I would have been paid as my request to be paid per article was politely turned down, those weren't the terms apparently.

If anyone has had any luck with these sites please let me know.

Before I finish, I plan to start my own Freelance site sooner rather than later. One that pays people a fair day's pay for a fair days work, you get what you pay for after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment