Friday 29 January 2010

Self Publishing Ideas

If you've come to the end of your book and you're thinking it's time to start finding out more about self-publishing then you've probably done a Google search by now and found some of the different options available. I'll go into more detail about the publishers that I've found another time but here I'll detail some of the options for publishing your book, and how to make it affordable both to you and your buyer.

I've noticed some of the Print on Demand publisher's fees aren't too high but then you'll only get a commission per sale. This can amount to just a few dollars. If you were to list this on somewhere like eBay or Amazon you could easily end up losing money on every copy you sell or just making a few cents which I'm sure for most of us isn't the idea.

While I want more than anything to get my book out in a proper hard copy format the difficulty of finding affordable publishers will mean it won't prove too easy but if I just want to get my book out there and start selling it myself until I can find a suitable publisher then I've found a few other options.

I know of one person who sells his book on eBay just by making it available on two discs to his buyers. In my opinion, it's not the idea format for selling it but people don't seem to mind it that way and that is all that matters. He sells it for around £8-£10 each time and and as far as I know the only outlay he has is the cost for the discs,which is hardly expensive, and the postage. If he ends up with £5-6 profit or maybe a little more per sale that's still better than you'd get from most publishers whether your work is self-published or not.

The other idea is to sell it as an e book. There are plenty of sites out there where you can sell an e book. There are plenty more sites where you can format your e book and design covers. Some sites don't require an ISBN either which means you can get started straight away.

I've also been looking at Lulu as an option for publishing my book in paperback format and from the estimated prices I've obtained it could just be feasible and affordable to publish it that way. I just need to finish the first manuscript so I can work out the exact page numbers and the precise costs.

The last option I've found and perhaps the most promising is Kindle on Amazon. They have recently said that their sales of Kindle have overtaken sales of books in other formats which came as a surprise to me because I'm not too keen on reading off the screen but plenty of other people seem to like it. Publishing in this format couldn't be much easier. If you already have an Amazon account then all you need to do is go to the Publish on Kindle option. Click the Kindle page and you'll find a link which takes you to a 73 page PDF guide which tells you how to start selling in that format. The Kindle service does not cost anything to publish your work. Follow this link for more information:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=gw_br_dtp?ie=UTF8&docId=1000234621&pf_rd_p=74672262&pf_rd_s=left-nav-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=507846&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BA0C16Y7P9CAFKETN4Y


No comments:

Post a Comment