Monday 15 April 2013

Writing for Yahoo! Voices

This article was previously published on Expertscolumn under the username jane789


Recently I have been taking another look at Yahoo! Voices. While I love writing for Expertsolumn, I also think it is wise to right for a number of sites as it all helps to grow your profile as a writer and can lead to several steams of income instead of just one.

At one time, Yahoo! Voices used to only be available to residents in the US but a few years ago they established a UK site. I’ve had a few problems with logging in and setting up a profile so I have not been active on the UK site as yet, but once I have this problem resolved, I am looking forward to contributing.

From what I have seen of Yahoo! Voices, I like it so far. Like other sites, they allow you to write along most subjects but they warn against rehashing content from other sources and encourage original content, which is a good thing.

You could write on anything from sports to music. Yahoo! Voices also allows the publishing of short stories and poetry so you contributors can share their creative work on the site too.  Yahoo! Voices offers two types of payments; you can earn from upfront payments or you can earn from page views.

The guidelines for having your work accepted are quite strict and work is reviewed before being accepted and published. I like the stricter guidelines as it ensures the quality of the site stays high and doesn’t allow people to take shortcuts, which can only be a good thing.

Another thing I like about the site is the low pay out level. The site has a low pay out level of just £1.50 for contributors in the UK.  Payments are made via PayPal, so if you do not have a PayPal account you will have to set one up before you can become eligible for payments.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jane. I'm also having a problem logging onto Yahoo Voices in the UK. The American version is apparently restricted to US citizens.

    But how can £1.50 be an acceptable price for an article? You'd be very unlikely to get 10 published in a week. I think your blog needs to explain if there are any other benefits in writing for Yahoo, such as useful link backs, or exposure for a website. Otherwise, how can this work out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is actually £1.50 for 1000 views. All sites pay pretty low and Yahoo! is one of the better paid sites. I tend to write on subjects I know and a 300 word article can be done in 15 minutes.

    They do also offer upfront payments for some articles and these payments are around $15.00.

    ReplyDelete