Wednesday 27 November 2013

Review: Just one Cornetto - Keith Mashiter

In Keith Mashiter’s new book, which is a well-written, detailed travelogue, the book details the best of what Italy and Sicily have to offer and follows the journey that Charles Dickens first made in the 19th century. We begin in Genoa and the opening chapter really brings this vibrant, picturesque region alive for the reader.

Keith’s detailed writings of his own journey, along with the history of the area included, make the first chapter a truly fascinating read.

Next, the reader is transported to Cinque Terre, where Keith and Gail’s adventure continues, I have to say I really felt like visiting the fishing villages such as Monterosso and Cornigilia, as the pictures painted in the book just sound so beautiful. As the journey continues, the reader can learn all about Keith and Gail’s time in Sienna, Rome, Naples, Punta Braccetto etc. However, Etna, with its lava brick walls was the place that really stood out for me, and the more I read about it, the more I want to keep my promise to one day visit Etna. I also read about Pisa with a special interest as this is a place I plan to visit one day. The description of San Miniato sounds gorgeous, and the Tuscan villages I read about in the book sound delightful, while “Campo Dei Miracoli” of the Field of Miracles sounds like a sheer joy to visit.

From the opening dialogue, to the closing pages, this book is a real joy to read. I like the easy going way in which the book has been written, and I like the tongue in cheek humour.

The book is easy to read and I found it a great way to wind down at the end of a long day. I liked the pictures that each chapter begins with and the map at the front is a good addition as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment