Monday 4 November 2013

Finding Freelance Writing Work

Like any other self-employed work, finding freelance writing jobs isn't easy. However, if you are determined, and have a plan, then it can be much less of a challenge.

When I decided to go freelance on a full time basis, I ended up having a few sleepless nights and going over in my head which direct debits I could cancel. I also sent plenty of time trying to figure out where else I could save money, so I could make my savings just a little bit longer.

Fortunately, it didn't come to that as I re-discovered freelance writing sites. I had tried them in the past, but soon lost patience when I didn't win any projects. I guess I took the many rejections I had gotten just a little bit too personally, but when I went back to the freelance sites, I soon realised that if I was going to be successful, then I was going to have to get a thicker skin.

I also took some time out to ready other people's advice on how they secured work from freelance sites, and I read many accounts from people who had bid on 40 plus projects before getting their first job. It is just a matter of having some grit and determination and not giving u at the first hurdle. After 21 proposals, I was lucky enough to secure my first Elance project. I secured a project ghost writing a book, and I am just finishing a second book for the same client.

The work is was irregular to begin with, however, that is the nature of freelance work. I have since found that the more I pitch for work, the better I get at pitching, which means more work comes my  way every month. I also look for clients that require regular content so I can build up my client list that way.

The more clients I get, the more confident I become and the regular work makes the whole freelance writing business just a little less nerve-racking.

For now, I am working on Elance. Fiverr and People Per Hour. People Per Hour is one of my favourites as it is easier to secure work on there and they're fast at releasing funds when I've requested it

Do you have any tips for finding freelance writing work? Share your tips in the comments section below.








No comments:

Post a Comment